Friday, March 18, 2011

Etta James- At Last

It's finally here.
I've been waiting all year, since last year, that is.
March Madness is upon us.
There was a time in my life when I didn't give a rip about college basketball.
Then came that fateful night.
It was March 28, 1992.
I was hanging out with my boys at Hooters, minding my own business.
There was alot of people there that night yelling at the TVs.
A game was on.
It was Duke vs. Kentucky.
I wasn't paying much attention at first, but as the game went on, even a casual observer could tell that this one was going down to the wire.
Back and forth it went.
Then came overtime. Both teams wanted it.
At the end of the game, Duke trailed Kentucky 103-102 with 2.1 seconds left in the game.
I was paying attention at this point.
Duke had the ball, but had to travel the length of the court with not a lot of time.
Grant Hill threw the ball in. He tossed a pass the length of the court to Christian Laettner.
Laettner caught the ball, dribbled once, turned, and at the buzzer, sank what has been called simply "The Shot", to give the Blue Devils the win.
I remember there was a guy at Hooter's that I didn't care so much for that was a Kentucky fan. After listening to his smart remarks all night, I had decided that I was hoping Duke won.
After they won the way that they did, I was a fan.
Incidentally, Duke went on to defeat Michigan that year to win the National Championship.



No comments:

Post a Comment