Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Amede Ardoin- Blues de Basile

Last week, I took my Mom to lunch for her birthday.
We met at Pappadeaux for a little Cajun celebration.
I don't care what time of year it is, Winter or Summer, if I have the chance to have some good gumbo, I'm not gonna hesitate.
In honor of our visit, I thought I would give ya'll a little Cajun music history.
Amede Ardoin is credited by Louisiana music scholars with laying the groundwork for Cajun music in the early 20th century.
He is known for his high-pitched singing voice and his skills on the Cajun accordian.
Legend has it that on his way home from playing a house dance, he was attacked by some white men that were angry because a white woman, the daughter of the house, lent Ardoin a handkerchief to wipe the sweat off of his face.
He was run over by a Model A car that crushed his head and damaged his vocal cords.
He was found alive the next morning lying in a ditch.
It was said that he went "plumb crazy" after that and he spent his last days in a mental asylum, where he supposedly died.
There are no definitive records of his death.
On a lighter note, Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment