Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Jennifer Hudson- Believe

My Granny Gregg was the sweetest lady that I've ever known.
The entire time I knew her, I never heard a negative comment out of her mouth.
My grandfather died before I was born, so the whole time I knew her, she lived alone.
I remember visiting as a child, she always made sure we had plenty to eat.
She took pride in her cooking, you see, because she grew most of it herself.
I remember picking a basket full of muscadines.
I remember climbing up the big tree in her front yard and reading for hours.
When it came time for us to leave, I remember her sad, lonely smile and wave.
As Jennifer sings in this song, if there ever was a soul that should just get a free pass though the pearly gates, it would have been my Granny Gregg.
But her pass through the gates wasn't a free pass...it came with a price.
And she valued that price.
She raised her hands.
She bowed her head.
She knew the truth of the words in red.
She believed.
If Granny Gregg were alive today, I would say, "Thank you< Granny, for the legacy of belief."

No comments:

Post a Comment