Friday, September 3, 2010

The Darkness- I Believe In A Thing Called Love

My good friend J and I went to see the band Kiss perform here in Atlanta earlier this week.
It was honestly one of the best live shows that I've seen.
One of my friends, when I was telling her about the show, said "They're old but they still rock".
That's kind of how I feel about myself...most days.
The one thing that I would have changed about the show would have been the opening bands.
The first opener was a band called "The Envy".
They were decent and I think that they were on Gene Simmons' record label which answers to why they were on the bill.  But the style didn't match very well.  They should have been opening for Green Day or somebody like that.
The same was true about the second band.
They were called "The Academy Is...".
The way the lead singer was moving caused the "rural" gentleman behind me to lean up and ask, "That lead singer's a girl, right?"
It just didn't fit.
The thing was...even when Kiss came on, there were still plenty of seats, both in reserved seating and on the lawn.
We were trying to think of better openers or split bills that would have drawn better...and that would have had the same type of sound.
Motley Crue, Cinderella, Britney Fox, The Scorpions, even Guns n' Roses would have worked.
Oh well.  We're not promoters.  I'm sure Gene Simmons knows what he's doing.  He's a marketing genius.
I heard that if you bought a lawn seat to the show, they gave you 4 child's tickets for free.
That's a perfect way to introduce the younger crowd to your music.
And honestly, there wasn't really anything much that was inappropriate for youngsters.
Except the whole Gene spitting blood bit.  That may cause some nightmares.
The band was donating $1 from each ticket sold for this tour to Wounded Warriors Care Foundation, a veteran's relief fund that provides care for soldiers returning from war.  Class act.
Another band that would have been a good opener for Kiss would be "The Darkness"...if they were still together.
Some guys can last for decades with each other and some can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment