Thursday, September 9, 2010

John Coltrane- A Love Supreme

Up until I was about 30 years old, I had a phonograph player.
Back in the day, we just called it a record player.
One of my favorite things to do as a kid, was to play my Mom's old 45s and sing along. I would actually record myself.
Thankfully, all of the tapes were lost.
Mom had a huge collection of 45s.
But I had my favorites: Poison Ivy by The Coasters, I Want To Walk You Home by Fats Domino, and I Write The Songs by Barry Manilow, just to name a few.
I also had some favorite LPs: Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours", Styx's "Grand Illusion", and ELO's "A New World Record".
But of course, cassette tapes came and went, and CDs were the collection mode of choice.
One day, I was in my parent's basement with one of my cousins. He saw a huge box of 45s sitting there and said, "What's those black things?"
He had never seen a record before.
I still have a few LPs and 45s at my house. One day soon I hope to get something to play them on. I still have my copy of "40 Funky Hits" that I've been dying to hear.
We never had any Coltrane, but whenever I get a new turntable, I'm considering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment