Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Elizabeth Mitchell-You Are My Sunshine

I'm loving the new wave of children's music.
I just love it period when I have the chance to play children's music for my kids and it doesn't make me want to jump out of the car after 5 minutes.
Jack Johnson, Ziggy Marley, Lisa Loeb, They Might Be Giants are all examples of creative artists that have done projects to cater to young ears.
I once heard a Kidzbop rendition of James Blunt's "Beautiful".
"I saw you on the subway, you were with another man, but I won't lose no sleep over that cause I've got a plan."
Great song. Not very relevant.
You see, that's the trick.
You've got to make good quality songs that still have relevancy.
Elizabeth Mitchell gets it.
She grew up in New York City. After getting her degree from Brown University, she moved to Brooklyn and took a job as an assistant teacher at the Roosevelt Island Day Nursery School in New York City.
It was here that she discovered her love of making music with children.
She was the first new children's music artist signed to Smithsonian Folkways Recordings in the 21st century.
She has released four children's albums to date with a fifth to be released next month.
This video for this classic tune reminds us to treasure the important...and don't sweat the small stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment