Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lecrae-Overdose

I grew up on rap music.
I remember the first time that I heard Run-DMC's first album.
I hadn't heard anything like it before.
You can ask anybody that I went to high school or hung out with then, I knew of just about everybody that was in the rap game at that time.
And that was all I listened to.
The madre and padre listened to country (which I used to call "anti-music" but lately have begun to appreciate much of the genre).
But after I gave my life back to Christ in the early 90's, I went through a period of time where I only listened to Christian music.
I feel like I needed some time to simply focus on Him...to recenter.
During that time I also abstained from any alcoholic beverages and R-rated movies. It was a healing process.
This took about 10 years.
So one day at Lifeway, after purchasing a book or CD or something, they gave me a compilation CD for free.
There was an artist named T-Bone with a song on it called "Psychowestcoastridermuzic".
Gospel rap.
I never knew such a thing existed.
Over the next few years, artists like T-Bone, Ill Harmonics, KJ-52, Pigeon John, and John Reuben gave me what I needed for my hip-hop fix.
Obviously, since then, I have lifted my ban.
I feel like I am in a stronger place of self-control and have realized that evidences of the sacred can be found many times in the "secular".
I still love me some Christian hip-hop, though.
And Lecrae's latest release, "Rehab:The Overdose" does not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment