Thursday, January 6, 2011

Steve Martin-Pretty Flowers

Wifey (I'm taking suggestions for a more endearing title for the queen) and I are going on a date tomorrow night. Yee-hah!!!
Actually, she is taking the weekend off and she invited me to be a small part of it and thankfully her mom hasn't started back to school yet so she can watch the kiddos.
So, after work I'm going to meet her for dinner at Maggiano's and then later on we're going to The Punchline.
The Punchline is a comedy club in Sandy Springs, just outside the Atlanta perimeter.
"Last Comic Standing" winner from a few years back, John Heffron is performing.
This dude is a riot.
One year for her birthday, I gave Wifey a "comedy weekend". We went to see John one night, and then we saw Bill Cosby the next night.
She married me so she must like funny.
Anyways, we're both looking forward to the night out tomorrow sans chirdren.
Speaking of funny, I never would have guessed that funnyman Steve Martin would ever have a number one album anywhere except the comedy charts.
But his album, "The Crow: New Songs For The Five-String Banjo" has topped the US Bluegrass charts.
Martin used to play the banjo in some of his comedic routines, so I guess it shouldn't be a far stretch.
It just kind of caught me off guard.
I mean, I would dance around and sing to "King Tut" when I was a kid.
"When I die, now don't think I'm a nut,
Don't want no fancy funeral, just one like old King Tut."
Best wishes to an obviously, very talented individual.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your link today, and although I hate to sound cliche I am impressed. You are such a cool guy!...LOL Song selection spans every genre of music, and the writing is personal, endearing, and funny.

    I remember King Tut...surprised that someone else my age does! I was exposed to his SNL stuff back in the late 70's by the youth group at our church...sister older than me & my parents were on youth committee. He brings to mind another comedian, Ray Stevens. I catch myself saying, "it's me again Margaret," on the phone when I have called someone for the 100th time at work, but then usually have to explain what I am referring to....takes all of the humor out when you have to explain.

    ~Shannon B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your comment today, Shannon. Thanks for the kind words. I'll try and work some Ray in some time. LOL. I've been in a creative lull lately, but I feel a resurgence coming on. Boogidy-dad, boogidy-dad.

    ReplyDelete