Monday, July 19, 2010

The Blind Boys of Alabama with Lou Reed- Jesus

I went with the family to Tybee Island this past weekend.  It's a fairly quiet stretch of sand just outside of Savannah and the closest beach to our north Atlanta home.
When we left, I was 39.
When we returned, I was 40.
No big deal really, right.
The day before we left, I had a physical with an MD to "take inventory" and make sure everything was mostly functional.  I hadn't seen an MD in about 10 years.
Apparently, when you reach a certain age, there are a couple of tests that are done, specifically for..ahem..."the lower tract", that are customary to be performed.  Wasn't quite prepared for this.
Thankfully, it was quick.
So, I'm 40.  About a third of life used up.
I'm rounding, folks, play along.
Who am I?  What is my place?
1) When I was 7 years old, I realized that I was kind of a mess-up.  I asked for help.  I traded an imperfect life for a forgiven life, thanks to the substitutionary death and subsequent resurrection of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.  Along the way since then, there are times when I have tried to retake control and go my own way, but the voice of the eternal Spirit of God gently reminds be that "no matter what", He has my best interests in mind.  So first and foremost I am a redeemed child of the Creator, living in the grace given by Jesus.
2)  When I was 26 years old, I met the love of my life.  I thought I knew what "true love" was before that day, but I was silly and mistaken.
 May 11, 1996 was our first date.
November 8, 1997 was the date we were joined together as one person.
I couldn't imagine life without her.  So secondly, I am a husband, dedicated to loving, protecting, and caring for my bride.
3-6)  When I was 30, 32, 34, and 36, the wonderful gift of life was placed in my responsibility and care.  Sometimes I think that I am still too immature and incapable of handling such an important task, but then I see number 1 above, again, and realize that I am the perfect person for the job.  3 princes and 1 princess.
So thirdly through sixthly, I am a father, responsible for the health, well-being, safety and security of these 4 children.
7)  When I was 22 years old, I started a journey that has been a difficult but very rewarding road. 
I started school to become a chiropractor.  I had finished my 2 years of undergraduate school and had 3 and a half years of grad school left.  It was so worth it.  I can't think of anything else that I would rather be doing as a profession.  Sometimes the stresses of being a business owner get to you, but for me, it far outweighs associateship.  So seventhly (I think I'm making these words up, now) I am a chiropractor, dedicated to providing the best conservative natural healthcare to my patients. 
8) Finally, I AM FORTY.  All of this other stuff takes up a lot of my time, and that's OK.  I am blessed to be able physically and mentally to handle these "places".  When I have some time to myself, I like to listen to my music, read, try new restaurants, and visit new places.
There's alot to see in this world.
And, heck, I've only got about 80 more years to get it all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment