Monday, July 5, 2010

Bob Marley and The Wailers- No Woman, No Cry

You know how certain songs or albums remind you of certain people and/or certain times in your life?
There's a guy from high school that introduced me to 4 different albums at 4 different times in my life that have made a lasting impression.
The first one was Prince's "Sign O' The Times".   Remember, "Housequake". ("Shut up already...damn.")  The last track on that double album, "Adore", rewrote what a love song was to me.  ("If God one day struck me blind, your beauty I'd still see.")
The next album was "NWA and the Posse" by um...well...NWA and the Posse.  Songs like "Boyz in the Hood", "8-Ball", "Dopeman", and "Panic Zone" were steady being pushed out of my house speakers that I had placed in the hatchback of my red 1980 Mustang. 
I was so cool. (My wife is rolling her eyes now.)
The third album was Robin Harris' "Be-Be's Kids".  Not for sensitive ears, this comedy album almost made me wet my britches.  ("What tha ___ is spare change?  Find your ___ a spare job!")
The last one is Bob Marley and the Wailer's post-humous greatest hits compilation, "Legend".
To most people, Bob Marley = Reggae.  There's a good reason.  "Legend" is the best-selling reggae album of all time, selling 25 million copies worldwide.
This is my favorite track, although they all are pretty awesome.
Thank you, Shane, for introducing me to new sounds.  Some are still favorites today.
I just wish I knew where in the heck you are these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment