Thursday, August 12, 2010

Candace and Jeremy- Do-Nothing Day

I used to work at a Mercedes-Benz dealership.
I worked in the service division.  I was a porter.
That was a fancy term for the guy that cleans up the shop and washes the customers' cars that come in for service.
My friends Pebbles and Poops both worked there with me.
We usually had a good time, with the proper balance of goofing off and getting stuff done.
Like most dealerships, if a customer's car needed to be in service for an extended amount of time, there was a courtesy shuttle that transported the customer to wherever they needed to go.
This job was performed by "Do-Nothing".
"Do-Nothing" was a guy our age that drove the courtesy van.
He got his name because apparently the folks in the parts department and the mechanics thought that he did...well...nothing.
He was a stylish guy.  If memory serves me correctly, he used to model.
He was also friends with another of our friends, Gin-Gin.
We had our annual Christmas party at the owner's house in Peachtree City.  It was quite an elaborate place.
As the evening went on, we had worn out our welcome along with the owner's refreshments (not necessarily in that order).
"Do-Nothing" was the one that drove us back to the hotel that we were staying in.
We had a chance to hang out a couple of times after that, but not long after, I left the dealership for a different job, and we lost touch.
Thankfully, I recently found his wife on Facebook, and was able to re-connect through her.
He used to have this nice Elgin watch.
He would hold up his watch and say, "Jose', can you see Con-Seiko?  No, Elgin."
It was kind of a lame joke, but it was an attempt at "doing something".
The title of this Phineas and Ferb song reminded me of my old pal, "Do-Nothing".
I think everybody was just jealous.  They just wanted your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment