Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Roots- The Fire

Wifey gave me a weekend off last month.
This is something we started doing for each other so we wouldn't end up on the front page of the newspaper.
With 4 kids at home, all under 10 years of age, you need a break now and then to keep sane.
So I left work on Friday afternoon and stopped at the store for some supplies.
Then I drove down to Candler Park Golf Course in Atlanta.
It was only about $12 to walk 9 holes and I got there at about 7:30, so I was one of only about 5 people on the whole course.
I took my time and finished just before 9pm with plenty of daylight to spare.
By this time I was getting hungry, so I got cleaned up and drove over to the Perimeter Mall area and had dinner at one of my favorite places, Chequers Seafood Grill.
I finished dinner and decided to go over to Barnes and Noble and browse around.
After a while, I reckoned it was time to mosey on over to the hotel that I was staying in for the weekend.
I got there just after a huge busload of family reunion-ers had checked in.  Perfect timing.
I took a shower and settled in with my magazines that I had picked up at B&N and turned on late night TV.
I flipped through the pages, not really feeling like reading, and every once in a while, I would glance up at the TV if anything funny was on.
I was getting ready to turn off the TV and turn in when I noticed Jimmy Fallon had a late show.
I always thought that he was mildly funny, so I tuned in for a few more minutes.
When his band started playing, I was like, "That looks like the guy from 'The Roots'."
Sure enough Jimmy has critically-acclaimed hip-hop group, "The Roots" as his house band.
Hailing from Philadelphia, "The Roots" are famed for their jazzy, eclectic approach to hip-hop which includes live instrumentation.
I finished the weekend with naps, reading, time at the pool, a trip to the High Museum, meals at Landmark Diner, Sage Woodfire Grill, and Waffle House, and a workout.
I got back home to my little munchkins and Wifey, feeling refreshed, and just in time to go to friends for a cookout and fireworks.
The only thing left undone was to get a copy of "The Roots" latest release, "How I Got Over", described by the band as "depicting the everyman's search for hope in this dispiriting post-hope zeitgeist".
This track features Grammy award winning soul man, John Legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment