Monday, June 21, 2010

Duke Ellington- Don't Get Around Much Anymore

If I become a Quaker do I have to wear one of those funny looking hats?
I'm just kind of confused right now.
Back in the day, I was a big Reagan fan.
Since then, I've been what you would call a "Conservative Republican".
I'm not so sure these days. I'm just so tired of labels.
The way I look at it, the theme of "America" is "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
So, my elected leaders should have goals and policies that will protect those "unalienable rights" for myself and my fellow countrymen.
So when I vote, the first thing that I look at is, Does this candidate protect life? Abortion advocates need not apply.
I then continue on down the list.
Will this candidate protect my freedom?
How about my ability to pursue happiness and my ability to succeed?
I was speaking with a friend of mine, a black man in his late 30's years ago, and he made the comment, "If a candidate that was anti-abortion and pro-slavery was running against a candidate that was pro-abortion and anti-slavery, I would vote for the first one. I WOULD RATHER BE ALIVE AND A SLAVE THAN DEAD AND FREE." That's thought-provoking.
Lately, however, in my opinion, there has been a dearth of candidates that will get too far down the list.
I used to support the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts.
I just don't know anymore.
I just don't think that proclaiming a never-ending "War on Terror" is very smart.
Do I like the current administration? No.
Do I miss the previous administration? No.
So, I guess I'm now considered an independent, if you want to label me.
Regardless, I've got the same respect and honor for soldiers, past or present, that are risking their own lives for our nation.
This song is from a compilation disc entitled "Songs That Got us Through WWII".

No comments:

Post a Comment