Friday, June 25, 2010

Frederic Chopin-Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor, Op. 11, Larghetto

Virtuoso- n.- an individual who possesses outstanding technical ability in the fine arts, singing, or playing a musical instrument.
I'm a sucker for piano music.
I think that's why Chopin is one of my favorite classical composers.
Born in Warsaw, Poland in 1810, he composed his first pieces of music at age 7.
At age 11, he performed for Alexander I, Tsar of Russia.
He only lived until age 39 (gulp...that's where I am now) and he died of either tuberculosis or cystic fibrosis.
After he died, his heart was removed and was sealed in a pillar at the Holy Cross Church in Warsaw. An inscription there reads: Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
Scientists attempting to determine the real cause of his death was denied permission by the Polish government to remove the heart from it's repository.
This is one of the most beautiful pieces of music in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment